It's easy to over-pack for a holiday – once you start considering all the possible weather scenarios, plus the different places you will visit and all you will see and do...travelling light is harder than it looks! Try our tips for packing like a pro:
- What, when and where: your holiday activities will decide your outfits, so think about what you have planned – hiking, swimming, sunbaking, shopping, sight-seeing, fancy dinners or casual catch ups – then choose outfits for the likely scenarios.
- Choose your staples: try to include items that go with multiple pieces, to ensure you get multiple uses out of each item of clothing and therefore can pack less. A basic white shirt is always a winner as this goes with everything.
- Beauty: toiletries can take up a lot of room and add extra weight, so try to only take what you absolutely need. Many beauty products are available in travel sizes, so stock up on these, or decant your toiletries into 100mL plastic containers.
- Books: these will take up valuable room in your suitcase so save yourself some space and either pack a kindle or choose one book to take with you. Many hotels and hostels have a library where you can swap books with fellow travellers.
- Shoes: shoes take up a lot of room, so do yourself a favour and pack one pair of shoes for walking, such as a pair of Converse, and one pair for going out, such as a nice pair of sandals or wedges. Yes that's right, just two pairs of shoes!
- One party dress: no matter what type of holiday you're going on, you never know when you might need it!
- Be safe: never put anything you would hate to lose in your checked luggage and always lock your checked bags. Leave expensive jewellery at home.
- Pack a travel adapter: other than your phone and camera, a travel adaptor is the one gadget you really can't afford to forget.
Now you know how to pack, you just need to book a holiday! The travel experts at Tripaway Cruise & Travel
can take the headache out of organising travel – let them take care of your flights, accommodation, tours, cruises, insurance, visa applications, travel tips and more.