DINE OUT - Hearty beef stew
When it comes to winter warmers, a hearty beef stew is hard to beat. Simple, wholesome and ready to feed the whole family with minimal fuss, you can grab all the ingredients for this go-to recipe from The Strand’s Fresh Food Precinct.
- 1kg Byron Bay Free Range Osso Bucco (Meat Merchant)
- 750ml The Goods Grass Fed Free Range Beef Bone Broth (Healthy House Coolangatta)
- 3 x Desiree or golden potatoes, skin on, cut into thick chunks (Strand Fresh Fruit)
- 2 x carrots, peeled and chopped into 2cm chunks (Strand Fresh Fruit)
- 1 x brown onion, diced (Strand Fresh Fruit)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce and/or bay leaf
- Sourdough baguette, to serve (Sunbaked)
- Pre-heat oven to 180˚C.
- In a flame-proof casserole dish, heat a lug of olive oil over medium-high. Add the Osso Bucco and seal for 1-2 minutes each side. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté the onions for 5 minutes until soft. Return the Osso Bucco to the dish and cover with the bone broth. Add the potatoes, carrots, Worcestershire Sauce and/or bay leaf.
- Cover with a lid and place in the oven. Cook for 1½ hours or until Osso Bucco is tender. Check half way through cooking time and add more water or broth if required.
TIP: For low and slow, extra tender meat, cook at 140˚C for 3 or more hours. The Osso Bucco along with the nutrient-rich broth will create the richness for this dish, but if you have anything in the cupboard from last winter, like dried bay leaves or thyme, don’t be afraid to use them up to add more flavour. Season to taste.
A hearty winter weeknight meal, brought to you by The Strand’s Fresh Food Precinct. Don't forget to check out more articles, tips, reviews and special offers in DINE OUT: your Dining and Entertainment guide to The Strand.