20 Spring School Holidays Activities on the Gold Coast
on 26 September 2019
The school holidays can be a time of great fun and great stress. The kids have two weeks off school (or more depending on their school) and are ready to be entertained. However, this sounds easier than it is. Most parents struggle with coming up with activities that can entertain kids all day during their two week break. However, holidays are intended to be fun, so we’re here to help. From free activities and water-based fun to rainy day gems and thrilling adventures, the Gold Coast is packed with plenty of activities to keep the kids going all school holidays long.
Make the most of the school holidays with these activities
- Sparky Do Dah’s Pop-Up Playground is sure to provide your family with plenty of fun and laughs. Located at Casuarina Grove in the Broadwater Parklands, try stilts, stick juggling, duck fishing and so much more at this pop-up location of pure fun.
- Pimpana Junction Shopping Centre is playing host to a free gardening workshop for kids these school holidays. Think singing and dancing mixed with planting fun. This activity begins on Monday September 23.
- For those with sporty kids, try taking them to their local skate park for a bit of adventure based fun outdoors.
- Never underestimate the power of keeping it simple. Kids can have a lot of fun taking some sporting equipment like footballs or a cricket set down to the park and playing with their family.
Rainy day gems
- Your local Bunnings is more than just a hardware store. The playgrounds are free and even better, Bunnings also run a lot of kids DIY workshops focusing on crafts, face painting, gardening and woodwork.
- 10 pin bowling- something that never goes out of fashion. Pick up a pair of bowling shoes and spend a few hours bowling at Timezone Coolangatta.
- Hop down to Iceland in Bundall to go ice skating at the only ice skating rink on the Gold Coast.
- With more than 300 games to choose from, there is hours of fun to be had within the walls of Time Zone. This is a great option for families with children ages 6-16, plus the adults can have fun too.
Water based fun
- At INFINITY located in the heart of Surfers Paradise, you will be taken on a mindblowing journey through a maze filled with unique special effects and illusions. This is a great experience for the whole family to enjoy and is suitable for all kids over the age of 8.
- Take the whole family to Currumbin Rock Pools in Currumbin Valley. Explore the beautiful freshwater swimming hole, rock pools and mini rapids. With picnic tables and barbeques, this spot is perfect for a family day out.
- Visit Cudgeon Creek on the Tweed Coast in far north NSW. This beautiful creek is popular for swimming, kayaking and even stand up paddle boarding.
- The world’s tallest and most extreme inflatable water slide, the Big Wedgie is visiting Broadwater Parklands this September through to October. Little kids can enjoy the fun too with the Just Right Wedgie and Little Wedgie also taking up residence.
- Walkin on Water Surf School at Greenmount Beach is the Gold Coast’s premier surf school. The school provides surfing lessons for all ages and abilities, conducted by highly qualified professionals.
- Surfers Paradise Kids Week 2019 is sure to keep both kids and adults entertained. DC Comics Justice League superheroes are flying into town as part of an action packed program. Saturday 28 September to Friday October 4 is going to be jam packed with fun, for more details click here.
- If you’re an adventurous family with kids aged 12 or over, Gold Coast Skydive is here to help. Delivering breathtaking views of the Gold Coast and Hinterland as your backdrop as you tandem dive from 12,000 feet to land on the white sands of Kirra Beach.
- NaturallyGC Wildlife Encounters is a fun activity suitable for all ages. Starting on September 21, this Burleigh Heads event lets everyone get up close and personal with snakes, possums, turtles, owls and crocodiles just to name a few.
Slower paced ideas
- NaturallyGC Ocean Stars Marine Education is a great activity for all ages. Getting up close and hands on with the animals is a unique experience available in Oxenford starting on Saturday September 21.
- Movies Under the Stars is a great way to watch a movie while getting some fresh air. Beginning in September and lasting through to April 2020, locations right across the city will play host to movies for all ages.
- Located in South Tweed Heads, the Minjungbal Aboriginal Cultural Centre provides an unrivalled education experience. Featuring museum exhibits and performances of traditional dance this is a great place to take the family.
- SWELL Sculpture Festival, in town from September 13 to 22, is an event not to be missed. The Sculpture Festival is Queensland’s largest free outdoor sculpture exhibition. Transforming Currumbin Beach into a vibrant outdoor gallery that is not to be missed.
Holidays with The Strand
With so many activities on offer, these school holidays should be about fun. And you can trust The Strand to help you all holidays long. Come and visit our temporary play space on Level 1, outside of Woolworths if you’re looking for a bit of fun at the shops. Alternatively, our interactive floor projector on Ground Floor could provide all the fun you need. Whatever shape your idea of fun takes, visit the centre on the weekend of the 28th and 29th of September and we can help make it happen.