5 Ingredients for the Perfect Winter Stew
on 26 June 2015
We all love a good hearty winter stew to warm up on these cold nights. But the thought of peeling, chopping dicing and sprinkling for hours can turn the busy family chef off creating a winter weeknight masterpiece. That’s why we asked The Strand’s resident Meat Merchant
, Craig, to help us with some tips for a quick and tasty beef stew – with only 5 ingredients.
Recipe: 5 Ingredient Hearty Beef Stew
1kg Byron Bay Free Range Osso Bucco
1 x brown onion – diced
750mL good quality beef stock
3 x Desiree or golden potatoes – skin on, cut into thick chunks
1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees.
2. In a flame-proof casserole dish, heat a lug of olive oil over medium-high. Add the Osso Bucco and seal for 1-2 minutes each side. Remove and set aside.
3. In the same pan, sauté the onions for 5 minutes until soft. Return the Osso Bucco to the dish and cover with the stock. Add the potatoes and Worcestershire Sauce.
4. Cover with a lid and place in the oven. Cook for 1 ½ hours or until Osso Bucco is tender. Check half way through cooking time and add more water or stock if required.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve with a fresh, crusty sourdough baguette (from Sunbaked, of course!)
For low and slow, extra tender meat, cook at 140 degrees for 3 or more hours.
The Osso Bucco along with some good quality stock will create the richness for this dish, but if you have anything in the cupboard from last winter, like dried bay leaves or thyme, don’t be afraid to use them up to add more flavour. If you like, add some diced carrots along with the potatoes.
If that’s not a winter weeknight meal made in heaven, we don’t know what is!