Health Benefits of Regular Massage Therapy
on 22 July 2015
We all know that a massage is a great way to relax and de-stress, but do you know just how beneficial routine massages can be for your overall health and wellbeing?
Whether you're recovering from an injury or illness, reducing stress or enhancing performance, metabolism and circulation, the health benefits of massage therapy have been recognised for over 7,000 years. Today, massage is increasingly being offered alongside standard medical treatments for a wide variety of conditions.
Proven medical and emotional benefits of massage
People respond to massage therapy in different ways, but in general, these therapies are offered to:
- reduce stress
- relieve headaches
- relieve respiratory problems
- lower blood pressure
- aid relaxation
- improve posture
- encourage circulation
- enhance flexibility and range of motion
- strengthen the immune system
- accelerate recovery and rehabilitation
Medical practitioners in diverse fields are becoming more aware of the health benefits of massage therapy all the time. While even a single session can be a positive experience, regular therapy is usually recommended to achieve lasting results.
Types of massage therapies
Massage is a complex and constantly evolving discipline, drawing from a wide range of traditions from all over the world. While most types of massage involve pressing and manipulating the skin and tissues using the hands, elbows and arms, therapists may use many different techniques to achieve the desired result – from light rubbing to deep pressure and the use of oils, hot stones and other materials.
The most popular types of massage include:
Why regular massage therapy is important
- Swedish massage – ideal for relaxing or revitalising the body, this gentle massage combines soft, long strokes with circular motions and vibrations.
- Sports massage – a variation on Swedish massage designed specifically to help prevent or treat injuries related to sporting activities.
- Deep massage – often recommended to help soothe and heal muscles following injuries, deep massage uses greater force to reach the deeper tissues.
- Foot massage – designed to soothe and energise sore feet, foot massage may be combined with reflexology to benefit the whole body.
- Hot stone massage – hot stones improve blood circulation by expanding the blood vessels. This massage therapy may be recommended to relieve chronic pain or stress.
Most people feel great after a massage session, but these feelings and the therapeutic benefits won't last long if you don't give your body the treatment it needs or get back into unhealthy habits.
Speaking to your doctor or massage therapist will help you decide on the best long-term plan for your situation, which may be carried out at home with self-administered massages or involve routine appointments at convenient times. For many people, massage therapy is just as important as any other part of their overall health and wellness plan.
Get pampered with massage therapy in Coolangatta
Relieve your aches and pains or enjoy the pampering treatment at Coolangatta's newest massage centre.
Visit Sun's Massage Centre
at The Strand Coolangatta or call (07) 5536 6118 to book an appointment for a whole body and foot massage, hot stone massage, reflexology and other therapeutic treatments today.