11 Perfect Places for a BBQ on the Gold Coast
Summer is here and that means sunshine, surf and barbecues. Discover the best places in and around town to fry up a feast with family and friends and make this summer one to remember.
1. Rainbow Bay - Take the coastal walk from Coolangatta to beautiful Rainbow Bay.
Popular as a barbecue and picnic spot, it has a secluded ambience even when there are a few people about thanks to the rising Greenmount Hill. Afternoon picnickers can enjoy sunset over Surfers Paradise at Queensland’s most southern beach. For a romantic touch, bring a cooler with a bottle of chilled bubbly and some cold salads and antipasti. Perfect all summer long.
2. Kirra Hill Lookout - When it comes to top barbecue spots around Coolangatta, Kirra Hill Lookout
stands tall. With views stretching north as far as Surfers Paradise and Snapper Rocks to the south, Kirra Rock offers picture perfect vistas and prime position for a summer barbecue. Load up on steaks and skewers and head down with the whole tribe. Just remember, Kirra Hill Lookout isn't exactly a secret, so get in early to grab a spot (and a hot plate).
3. Burleigh Heads - Close to the ocean, Burleigh Heads is a terrific (and terrifically popular) coastal barbecue spot. There are hotplates on site or you could bring your own, plus there are plenty of picnic tables up and down the headland. A playground and expansive green area mean that the kids will be entertained for hours while you keep the snags turning and the conversation flowing.
4. Cascade Gardens - Escape the hustle and bustle of Broadbeach at Cascade Gardens, a shade filled picnic and barbecue spot in Broadbeach Waters. With picnic tables, barbecues and a playground scattered along the waterway, it's a local favourite that's usually not too busy and great for a family day out.
Quick tip: Breakfast is a great time for a BBQ. Get out early and grill some halloumi, bacon and eggs served up on fresh bread rolls.
5. Tallebudgera Creek - Located within walking distance to Burleigh Heads National Park and Palm Beach, Tallebudgera Creek is a tranquil picnic area with all the facilities you need for a perfect barbecue with family and friends.The creek is flat and shallow, ideal for a little splash or even an afternoon's adventure on the paddleboard. Afterwards, fire up some minute steaks or vegetarian burgers, onion and capsicum for the perfect steak sandwich or veggie burger.
6. Pirate Park (Palm Beach Parklands)
- Taking its name from the themed playground, the Pirate Park at Palm Beach Parklands is one of the best places to take the young ones over the summer. The play area includes a pirate ship, suspension bridge and treasure map and there's plenty of shade and shallow water nearby.
Keep it kid friendly with mini hot dogs and burger sliders. The perfect size for children they're also a breeze to barbecue, giving you more time to kick back and relax.
7. Broadwater Parklands - Looking out over the Southport Yacht Club, Broadwater Parklands are the perfect friends and family spot. There's plenty of space for even the largest occasion and there's also Aquasplash for water park fun. Want to make it an event to remember. Bring some balloons or flags and tie them to they picnic area. It'll not only capture the festive atmosphere, but help friends and family find you in the park.
8. Jack Bayliss Park - A top spot for a secluded summer barbecue, dog-friendly Jack Bayliss Park in Kingscliff is just off Marine Parade and features a kids playground, shaded barbecue area and views of the ocean beyond white sand beaches. Quiet and often deserted, it's a top spot for escaping the hustle and bustle of the summer hot spots for a more private affair.
9. Pratten Park (Kuttawa) - Broadbeach's Pratten Park is an expansive beachside park area right in the heart of the action. Popular year round with locals and tourists alike, everything you need is right here, from playgrounds and picnic areas to Broadbeach's bustling nightlife just across the road. Keep the kids entertained with finger painting and non toxic chalk. There's never a dull moment when kids are being creative. With great facilities on site you can fry up a family feast with a minimum of fuss.
10. Bochow Park - Located within the picturesque wilderness of Springbrook National Park, Bochow Park is the perfect spot for a barbecue after hiking the rainforests of Natural Bridge walking track. Pack light, just the essentials, and let the serenity of the National Park entertain you with wonderful sights and sounds.
Use a crushable esky bag or backpack cooler to transport your food and drink. Remember to always take your trash with you or use the bins provided!
11. Fingal Heads - Barbecue Spot on the Tweed River. Sunrises are never a problem in Coolangatta, but if you're looking for an afternoon barbecue spot to watch the sunset there's probably no better spot than Fingal Heads along the Tweed River. Nestled against the shoreline overlooking the Tweed River, you can fry up some chicken skewers and snags and enjoy another beautiful day in paradise.
A great barbecue deserves the best cuts. Before you head out for your next summer barbecue make sure you stop by the Meat Merchant at Strand Coolangatta
. With only the best quality cuts of beef and poultry, you're sure to find everything you need for your next big fry up. With a focus on free range produce, your barbecue won't only taste amazing, it's good for your too.