In Season: Classic Apple Crumble Recipe
More than just tasty, apples are rich in antioxidants and dietary fibre, also packing a range of health and disease fighting benefits.
With the perfect balance of sweet and tart flavours, Granny Smith are a staple in a baker’s kitchen and ideal for this simple, classic and oh-so delicious Autumn recipe. Grab the freshest Granny Smiths at the lowest prices from Strand Fresh Fruit
on Level 1 or go organic next door at Healthy House Coolangatta
, and get set to impress for a dinner party dessert or a simple weeknight treat.
Donna Hay’s Apple Crumble
Crumble topping ingredients
- 5 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
- ½ cup (110g) caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1½ cups (225g) plain flour
- ¾ cup (165g) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (90g) rolled oats
- 225g unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place the apple, sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon in a large bowl and mix to combine. Transfer to a 1.5-litre-capacity ovenproof dish.
- To make the crumble topping, place the flour, sugar, cinnamon, oats and butter in a large bowl and mix until just combined.
- Spoon the crumble mixture over the apple and place the dish on a large baking tray. Bake for 40–45 minutes, or until the crumble is golden and the apples are soft. Serve with vanilla ice-cream. Serves 6.